Re: [agile-testing] Are testers equally valued on agile teams?

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

 

Hi Lisa, Very interesting topic and thanks for bringing this up. I am a tester in some of the agile projects for last couple of years, and I have seen both ends of "equality".

When the project is small, as a tester I was able to cope up with the whole set of developers and always treated and sometimes treated more important than anyone else in the team as I was considered the end gate for roll-out. May be this is due to my technical skills and was able to catch-up with devs thought processes during those projects.

However, in my recent experience - I am onto some huge programs where the team is huge, and testers are valued sometimes off the track, otherwise we are well considered over all.Starting from Sprint planning to retro -- testers are part of it, however - sometimes during testing, there are instances we were off the track with information from devs. But considering the scale of the proj, it was ok to move on.

But in most part, my experience is in alignment with what you have stated.

regards, JK

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Lisa Crispin <lisa.crispin@gmail.com> wrote:
 

I've pretty much always felt that, as a tester, I was valued as highly as programmers or others on the team, even in non-agile shops. Not that I haven't had to earn my credibility, but generally I've felt like an equally valued team member. But perhaps this is because I started out my career as a programmer? I've heard lots of stories of testers who were treated like failed programmers or the like.

Since agile values promote the whole team approach, cross-functional teams where all roles have equal value, I'd like to think that there's no caste system on agile teams.

If you're a tester on an agile team, I'd like to know your experience. Do you feel that all team members are equally valued?
thanks
Lisa

--
Lisa Crispin
Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
Contributor to _Beautiful Testing_ (O'Reilly 2009)
http://lisacrispin.com
@lisacrispin on Twitter
http://entaggle.com/lisacrispin


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment