Re: [agile-testing] Are testers equally valued on agile teams?

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

 

As a test manager, and having worked with agile teams in two different companies, I can say that "it depends".  I know, sounds like  a cop out, but really it depends.  It depends on the development team to a large degree, and to the test team to a smaller degree.


The tester's must be assertive; they have to push developers to treat quality as one of the main goals of the team, and show that they can show the developers what quality is, and is not.

But the developers have to buy into this attitude.  If they don't, and don't give the testers the support they often need, then it turns into lip service for both sides.

Many teams struggle with just how to incorporate testing into the process; both developers and testers.  I've seen teams move in both directions over time; that is, good test organizations (organization = testers + developers) go bad when emphasize is put on something other than quality, and bad teams get better when testers are able to convince developers to allow for testing.

There are two major hurdles to getting better testing in agile teams that I see; good product owners and continuous builds/integration/deployments.  Product owners have to learn how to "right size" user stories for short work assignments, and coulpled with continuous builds/integration/deployments, the test team will hopefully have something new to test every day.

Just my experience...

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Lisa Crispin <lisa.crispin@gmail.com> wrote:
 

I've pretty much always felt that, as a tester, I was valued as highly as programmers or others on the team, even in non-agile shops. Not that I haven't had to earn my credibility, but generally I've felt like an equally valued team member. But perhaps this is because I started out my career as a programmer? I've heard lots of stories of testers who were treated like failed programmers or the like.

Since agile values promote the whole team approach, cross-functional teams where all roles have equal value, I'd like to think that there's no caste system on agile teams.

If you're a tester on an agile team, I'd like to know your experience. Do you feel that all team members are equally valued?
thanks
Lisa

--
Lisa Crispin
Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
Contributor to _Beautiful Testing_ (O'Reilly 2009)
http://lisacrispin.com
@lisacrispin on Twitter
http://entaggle.com/lisacrispin


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment