Re: [agile-testing] What is the difference between QA and Test?

Thursday, January 05, 2012

 

Dorothy

I agree with you, the QA / SDET split you are describing is useful.  I'm dealing with a different distinction.

I'm specifically looking for examples of "QA Professionals" who cannot or will not test, and to determine their natural habitat.

If it wasn't for the fact that we had two non-testing QA Professionals in our organization I would have just chalked up this one individual as incompetent and forgotten about the situation.

My expectation is that this species is only to be found in fortune 1000 companies with long established waterfall traditions.

--

Malcolm Anderson
Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer
http://www.PragmaticAgility.com/blog




On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Dorothy MURRAY <dotti_murray@msn.com> wrote:
 

A different take is QA and SDET.
 
I have QA that completes manual testing and they only look at UX, workflow, etc (user experience look and feel). THe SDETs are writing automated testing and executing. My QA resources are not technical.
 
 
Regards,
Dorothy Murray, CSP
www.linkedin.com/in/dorothymurray

 

To: agile-testing@yahoogroups.com
From: malcolm.b.anderson@pragmaticagility.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 09:50:14 -0800
Subject: [agile-testing] What is the difference between QA and Test?


 
Lisa's thread about the value of testers on an agile team made me think about an experience I had with someone who came to us as "Quality Assurance."

Prior to this experience QA was (in my mind) the group that put thought to testing, and how to test.

What I learned over a very painful year was that this individual believed that QA was there to write documentation about something called "quality."

When we asked this person to do testing they would say (rather indignantly) "I am not a Tester, I do QA."

Clearly this person believed that being a "Tester" was a step down.

That was my first and only experience with this QA - Tester dichotomy.  I have to assume that QA is a useful function in a waterfall organization.

Can anyone else shed some light on this QA - Tester split? 

Thanks

--

Malcolm Anderson
Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer
http://www.PragmaticAgility.com/blog


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment